Are you ready to discuss notes, notebooks and tags? Once we get these sorted out, we’ll be well on our way to creating our Evernote family, personal, and homeschool journals!
What is a note?
A note is any piece of information we want to save. It could be a photo, an article from the Internet, a link to a Youtube video, an email, a written conversation, a diary entry, an idea, a blog post, an audio file, a few words about anything… Lots of possibilities. We shall be discussing them all in future posts!
There is a size limit for each note. This limit is larger for Premium and Business accounts and smaller for the free basic one:
25 MB (Basic)
50 MB (Plus)
200 MB (Premium and Business)
What is a notebook?
Before we can create our notes we need somewhere to put them: a notebook. So a notebook is a collection of notes.
How to create a notebook
- Look for the word ‘notebook’ on the top left-hand side of the screen
- Hover over it to reveal a + icon
- Click on to the + icon to create a new notebook
- Name the notebook
How to create a note
Now we have a notebook, we can create our first note.
- Click on ‘new note’ at the top left-hand side of the screen.
- Give the note a title
What is a stack?
A stack is a group of notebooks.
How to add a notebook to a stack
- Right-click on the notebook name in the left panel
- Scroll down the menu to ‘add to stack’
- Choose an existing stack or create a ‘new stack’
What is a tag?
A tag is a descriptive word or keyword associated with a note. Tags allow us to search our notes and find what we’re looking for quickly. Evernote is designed for fewer notebooks and more tags. We can search for a single tag or multiple tags. We can search for notes in one notebook or in all our notebooks.
How to create a tag
Click on ‘add tag’. This can be found at the top of a displayed note, just under its title.
How to find notes with a particular tag
Enter the tag name in the ‘search notes’ box at the top of the note list
- Find the tag in the list in the left panel
- Click onto the tag name to display a list of notes with this tag
All the above information and more is in the following screencast tutorial videos. Please take a look if you prefer watching rather than reading!
Hopefully, we’ll soon be discussing interesting Evernote topics rather than the basics, such as:
- How to save our notebooks to our computers
- How to print them
- How to add a contents menu to our notebooks
- How to make coloured note backgrounds
- How to share our notebooks with our children
- What to put into our notebooks…
Next time, we’ll discuss how many notebooks we need. Do we want to create personal journals as well as homeschool records notebooks? How about a strewing notebook? Will our homeschool notebooks double as family journals?
If you have any questions, I’m happy to answer them!