I once wrote a blog post called Apologies. Loads of people stopped by to read it. Perhaps they wondered, “What did Sue do? Did she make a huge mistake? What is she apologising for?”
Actually that post didn’t deserve all the attention it received. The only mistake I’d made was to publish the wrong post on the wrong day, during the annual A – Z blogging challenge. I got into a bit of a muddle and published my X post before my V post. A trivial mistake really but nobody discovered that until they’d clicked onto my post and read it.
I learnt a lot from that experience: Titles can be very important. They can draw readers in, by capturing their interest, making them want to find out more. Even great stories need good titles otherwise they may never be read.
Podcasts need good titles too. I talk about this in this week’s podcast, while making my apologies.
I also answer these questions…
- Have I written any other blog posts which have misled readers?
- Have any readers found themselves reading my rather radical ideas by mistake?
- Why is my family glad we are used to running up and down hills?
- Why are the Jenolan Caves so spectacular?
- How many times can I say the word ‘spectacular’ in one podcast?
- Why did the bride cut two holes into a shower curtain and then step into them?
- Why might I have to go abseiling?
- Why are stories better than text books?
- What is one way of igniting a new passion?
- What is our latest family passion?
- Am I any good at taking photos underground?
- What is my latest video about?
- Did I win my recent copyright disputes with Youtube?
- What treasure am I hoping listeners will discover if they listen to my podcast?
- What am I apologising for?
I’m writing too many posts all at once. And I’m getting confused.
Why I’m Wearing Stiff Undies
Disaster has struck. Our washing machine is broken.
It’s hot. It’s far too hot to do anything but lie still. But I’ve been lying still all day. I’m fed-up. Perhaps I need something to think about, something to take my mind off this terrible heat.
Suddenly, I have an idea. I say, “Give me an attention grabbing blog title.”
Getting Kids to Help With the Chores
It took me years to work out how to encourage my children to help with the household chores.
How to Get Children to Do Their School Work
Over the years, I have been asked this question so many times. So what is the answer?
I chain my kids to the table until they’ve completed everything I want them to do.
They don’t get fed until they’ve finished their work.
I threaten them with some dire punishment.
I bribe them.
I tell them I’ll send them to school unless…
Podington Bear website: Sound of Picture: Instrumental Music With Personality, For Your Project, From Podington Bear.
Podington Bear.Free Music Archive.
A spectacular place to visit
My latest video
Lots of Unschooling Questions
Learning science by reading stories
These photos were taken on our recent holiday to the spectacular Jenolan Caves.
You can find my podcasts on iTunes, if you’d like to subscribe.
You can also find me on my Stories of an Unschooling Family Facebook page.
Thank you to anyone who listens to this week’s podcast!