A friend asked if I’ve ever been unsure about unschooling.
And I replied:
Yes, there have been times when I’ve questioned what I’m doing. Even now I have an odd day when I wonder if I should be doing something different. Hard to admit because this is probably not what everyone wants to hear. But I think that it’s quite okay to have low days when we question things. Unschooling isn’t a magic solution. It’s life and life can be difficult. It’s the hard times that deepen our trust. We question, mull things over, and then we pick ourselves back up and go forward again, stronger than before, trusting we are on the right pathway. I guess trust isn’t worth much if we are only willing to trust when life is good. Things always work out which is just as well because when I look around at the alternatives, I realise we don’t have anywhere else to go!
I discuss the ideas in this comment in episode 92 of my podcast as well as other topics:
- Trust: It’s easy to trust when things are going well but is that real trust?
- Being a support driver for young learner drivers: Do we sometimes have to be adventurous and do things we don’t want to do?
- Children who don’t seem to fit easily into the world: Should we watch out for ways we can help each other?
- Praising kids: Is praise good or bad? How do we encourage our kids to be humble about their talents?
- Creativity: Do you ever yearn to create but don’t have the opportunity because you have small children that need your time and attention?
- Creative arts and English resources: art documentaries, Jane Austen mini-series, film scores and cinema history
Duncan’s Youtube Channel
Kelly’s Weaving Channel
Young Woman Gathering Lemons by Jan Owen
Creative Arts/ English
Emma (2009) 4 part series available on Youtube at time of posting
Image: Doesn’t Charlotte have a lovely smile? She’s been smiling a lot recently because she’s having fun learning to drive!
So I’m wondering… Have you ever been a support driver for one of your children? Do you praise your kids? And what do you think about Alfred Hitchcock? Have you seen any of his films?